Monday, June 4, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry Shortcake. Let me first start out by confessing that fruit and dessert are not usually my thing. I have a few desserts that include fruit in them (the Toxic Apple Pie from a farm stand in Michigan is one of them) that I enjoy...but for the most part I pass on fruit desserts. I first stumbled upon a strawberry shortcake I could not pass on at The Cheesecake Factory. Theirs is amazing. When I don't feel like spending $8 on a single dessert and driving 30 minutes to get it, this is what I make to satisfy the craving. And when I say satisfy I do mean-it tastes as good as the Cheesecake Factory's! Here is why.....
You start with this deliciousness.

Then you cut it into this deliciousness. (I love the flower cookie cutters I received as a wedding present...they just make it look quite adorable I think...we eat with our eyes first people!!)
Sprinkle some sugar on (sanding sugar is the best on top, but if you do not have it regular sugar is find too) it and bake this it into this deliciousness.
Prep your berries with a bit of sugar.
Any finally remove this deliciousness from your oven (yours may not be as large as mine...that is fine) and let them cool. Or don't, it is pretty good hot from the oven because everything kinda melts together then. And a wonderful thing about this dessert is that the shortcakes keep for a few days. I find that once I add the ice cream and whipped cream to them it does not matter that they dried out a touch. And be warned, this dessert makes you crazy thirsty...so have a tall glass of water on hand. You will thank me for this one....trust me.



the recipe:
2 cups flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 TBS sugar
1 stick butter
2/3-3/4 cup of cream or half and half

Take as many strawberries as you like and slice them up and place in a bowl with a few tablespoons of sugar...let sit while the shortcakes cook. 

Place all the dry ingredients in your food processor and combined. Then add the butter-cut it up into chunks before you do. Pulse until it resembles fine cornmeal. Pour it all into a bowl and add the cream. Stir it in gently and let stand for 1 minute. Turn out the dough no a floured surface and work till it is holding together and no longer sticky. Use a rolling pin to get the thickness uniform and cut out 8 biscuits. Place the biscuits on a parchment or silpat lined pan and sprinkle sugar across the tops. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Assembling the shortcake:
Take one of the shortcakes, slice it horizontally and place it in a bowl. Fill with strawberries, ice cream and whipped cream. Dessert has been served!!


**I often run out of strawberries before I do the other ingredients. I love this even without the strawberries....you might too. It is worth a try. Especially if you do not especially love fruit in your dessert:)**

4 comments:

Chloe said...

Mmm, looks so yum!

Wardrobe Girls said...

yum, that looks delish!

xo,

wardrobe girls

www.wardrobesimetandliked.com

Joy Becker said...

FYI...this is my go to recipe for shortcakes. I've been making it since you posted it, and always mean to comment and tell you! I love them!

Joy Becker said...

Making this again tomorrow. Don't ever delete this recipe! :)