Sunday, June 3, 2012

the flea market...

I love flea markets, garage sales, Goodwill, resale shops...and anything else that falls under that catergory. There is something so exciting about arriving at a place to shop and having no idea what you are going to find. I love the thrill of discovering something no one else has yet...and the icing on top is when you get it for a crazy good price!

This weekend my I convinced my sweet hubby to take me and our littlest girl to the Kate County Flea Market. We had such an energizing and exciting time!! We were there for around 3 hours (and would have stayed longer if we were not paying a babysitter) and saw so many great items.  There were a few times when I wanted to cry because I found pieces that were so "me" or so "our house" or so "our style" but were so out of our budget:( That reality sometimes stinks when you feel like you have found the perfect piece (even though you are not really sure where you will put it;) ) But-the upside is that flea markets make you think differently and creatively about things you already own. This is always good because in truth we do own some really fabulous pieces. Since the flea market on Saturday my husband has already rearranged our basement and made it even more in the style we want it to be. Taking a desk out, moving one over, adding another little one...and boy does it feel like home down there.


Needless to say, we are both inspired to really start evolving our home into more of what we love and what feels right to us. It can be so easy to just make due with what you have, or mimic a style you have seen done well, or do what your parents did in their house....but unless where you live becomes a reflection of who you are (who your family is) then it is hard to have it feel like home. Now don't get me wrong. I adore our house. It feels totally like home, it feels like us, but it also feels like it needs to have some new breath breathed into it-just as we grow and change in our style as people so should our house! I have been reading this lately and it also has been uber inspiring!  If you need some wonderful ideas or great motivating ways of thinking about why we decorating then this is a nice read/page through and look at pictures book.

 Anyhow, here are a few photos we snapped while we were soaking up all the flea market goodness...hope you feel a little bit of inspiration from them like we did.









What places do you love to shop, or things do you like to do, or books do you like to read that cause you to be inspired??

5 comments:

Stéphanie said...

I adore flea markets !

Chloe said...

Great pics. I can't wait to get over to the flea market!

Kacia said...

Can i come!??!

Rebekah Wallace said...

I feel like inspiration is everywhere if you look for it! I love your perspective Abby, thanks for sharing! We are moving this week for the summer and I'm excited to do some things in our temporary place to make it feel like "us".

katielicht said...

i've always wanted to go to the kane county flea market but never have! (maybe partially because I'm worried I'd spend too much money? :) ) i also struggle sometimes with finding the right style for our home. there are so many things I see online that I like but I know aren't quite right for us. we've lived in our house for almost 7 years and I still feel like it's a work in progress!