Wednesday, June 13, 2012

hhhhhhummmmus

I have never been a fan of hummus. I do not really know why...maybe because the texture kinda weirded me out or the flavor seemed non-existent...either way I did not like it. Recently someone said to me that if I have never made my own hummus than I have never really had hummus. Alright fine. I will make my own. And make my own I did.



The recipe:
2 cups cooked chickpeas (or garbanzo beans...they are the same thing...why they have two names I do not know)
2-3 tablespoons of the water from cooking the chickpeas
1 clove of garlic crushed
1 teaspoon of salt (add more to taste)
pinch of cayenne pepper
juice of 1 large lemon
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more as needed for end texture and flavor)

In a food processor puree the chickpeas, water, garlic, salt and cayenne until you have a smooth texture. Stir in lemon juice and olive oil. Taste and season as needed. Drizzle with more olive oil and a bit of paprika if you like. Enjoy!

Do you have a good variation on hummus I need to know? Do you even like hummus?? Tell me.

3 comments:

Chloe said...

I've never made my own, only had your sister's homemade. I like it both homemade and store brought, but not enough to make it myself up to now at least. I think I'll try your recipe.

Bethany said...

I always add feta and tomato to mine :o)

Vanessa Jergensen said...

I also love a little Tahini paste in mine! Mmmm...gives it a little bit of a nutty robust flavor. First heard of the idea from the Pioneer Woman...have you read her blog? Love her stuff.