Tuesday, October 23, 2012

basics

Every time I go to my closet I have this conversation with myself..."Why do I have no basics in my closet?!" I have fun skirts, I have wild printed shirts, I have colored jeans....but basics (ie: a black tee shirt, a white tee shirt, anything plain really) are no where to be found.

I know why this problem happens time and time again. I go to a store determined to purchase a basic item, reminding myself that it will expand my wardrobe options not limited it to boring black and white. Then....then....then...I spot some amazingly unique and funky item that must be purchased and my plan of getting a basic item goes right out the window. If on the off chance that I finally do find a basic the item is made for someone close to 6 feet tall with a torso of the same length (I am just over 5'2 and my torso is close to non-existent)! I hate petites because they all run small and never seem to work either. Bluh.


Where or where do you find basics that work? I am all ears? A closet full of wild colors and patterns is waiting to hear from you!!

8 comments:

emily said...

Don't do JCrew for basics - they all look pretty, but they're overpriced and the quality is about on par with H+M (which is much cheaper, obviously). American Apparel (if you can stomach their ads) has great basics.

emily said...

oh, and if you don't mind microfibery material, Anthropologie has these camis that are scoopneck on one side and v-neck on the other. I didn't really end up liking the feel of the material, but the colors are pretty, and they are versatile.

the cuthberts said...

chambray shirt...it's my favorite go-to basic. I actually just found an awesome one at br (and they have sales all the time--so wait for one of those:)) it's the perfect fit and weight. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5039&vid=1&pid=416021002

Kacia said...

ummmmm I will be stalking your comments for answers!!! I need some of those tops from Anthro that emily speaks of. um now.

Unknown said...

H&M, Gap, JCrew

abby said...

love every suggestion and have a few things in my "cart" on different websites! I knew I could count on you all:)

Jessica said...

I risk sounding like an addict saying this...but anthro. They have great basics in the lounge section (and non-lounge) and the trick in never buying them full priced...basics at anthro almost always go on sale.

Jessica said...

I just bought two basic AG tanks for 12$! Also, I am kinda like you Abby, I am drawn to the funky pieces and I feel like anthro makes good basics that have a twist. ok...i sound like an addict...