Friday, September 21, 2012

Roasted Tomato Soup

Soup is one of the best things.
Tomatoes are one of the best things.
Bread is one of the best things.

Roasted Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons is one of the best things. Trust me. I told my neighbor we would have plenty of leftovers from the huge pot I was making and offered to bring some over for her. I sheepishly called her later confessing our little family (read me and my hubby) had devoured the entire thing and there was none left to be brought over. The soup is that good-try it and see.

This recipe is taken from the book, Sunday Soup by Betty Rosbottom. I highly suggest getting your hands on this book-this week alone I have already made three of the soups from it and I have plans to make another one tomorrow...yeah that good.


Roasted Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons
3 lbs plum tomatoes
2 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/8 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more if needed
3/4 teaspoon crush dried rosemary (I used much more than that and used fresh-I recommend you do the same!!)
3 large cloves of garlic, minced ( I used 5..I like garlic)
1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for oiling the baking sheet
3 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and pour a bit of olive oil on a baking sheet
2. Halve your tomatoes and remove the membranes, seeds and stems. (I used a melon baller for this part and it worked amazingly well) As you prepare the tomatoes, place them cut-side down on a plate to drain.
Helpers are always encouraged!

3. In a large bowl mix together the pepper, salt, rosemary, garlic and olive oil. Add the tomatoes, toss and let marinate for 15 minutes.
4. Arrange the tomatoes, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle any remaining marinade over the tomatoes.

5. Roast until the tomatoes are softened and are browned on the bottoms and edges, around 50-60 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven.

6. Place half of the tomatoes in a food processor (I use a blender). Pour in 1 cup of chicken stock and pulse until pureed, about 1 minute.

7. Coarsely chop the remaining half of the tomatoes. Combine all the tomatoes (pureed and chopped) in a large pot with the remaining 2 1/2 cups chicken stock. Bring soup up to a simmer over medium heat. Taste soup and season with salt as needed.

8. Top with Garlic Croutons and enjoy!!


Garlic Croutons  **just a heads up, these are so insanely good you just might want to make them every single time you make soup at all, I ate them like popcorn while I was preparing them, they are divine!**

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups (or more) diced French baguette
2 garlic cloves, minced

1. In a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the oil and butter until hot. Add the bread cubes and cook, stirring, until light golden, for about 3 minutes. Add garlic, stir and cook for another 2 minutes until the bread is golden and crisp. Remove from heat and cover loosely with foil until you use them. (I doubled the batch and did it in two stages-you will thank me for suggesting a double-batch...they are so so so good!!)

Enjoy and let me know if you try it...I know I will be making this again really, really soon...like next Monday:)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I'm Soooo hungry after looking at this! Soooo yummy