Tuesday, April 16, 2013

April 15th was a dark day.

 Yesterday my littlest babe got up abnormally early. We sat downstairs on the couch together as we stared out the window watching different people walk to the train for work. I browsed facebook. My breath stopped as I read that my friend's sweet baby girl had died. She was only four months old. I cried. I listened to music that reminded me where my eternal hope is. I asked God to comfort my friend as only he can.  Soon enough my other children woke up and we entered into our normal routine. As I sat down at my computer later in the day, still with tears streaming down my face for that precious baby girl, I was slapped with the news that the Boston Marathon had been bombed.

  My grief and sadness just seemed to grow each moment of the day yesterday. I watched every clip I could find of the event, every image posted online I studied and I just cried. What a time of loss. Loss for my friend Abby, loss for these people who had their bodies destroyed, loss for the runners who had their run turned into a nightmare....loss. And all I could think was this is why Jesus came to die.

 These moments are shocking and heartbreaking to us but they often remind me of how much we never know that is going on in the world that God sees. He sees every time a mother holds her baby as it dies in her arms, he sees every evil act committed against the innocent, he sees every single thing. Oh how much sorrow he must bear.  One day he will bring his perfect justice. Until then he brings comfort to those who turn to him as they mourn. He brings hope to the hopeless. He brought his only son to this earth to die so that we might not live forever in a place that is consumed by this pure evil that we had a front row viewing of yesterday. Thank you Jesus, thank you Father.

"So also you have sorrows now, but I will see you again and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you."-John 16:22

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."- Hebrews 4:16

" This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."-1 John 1:5

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."-John 16:33

"He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."-Colossians 1:13-14

"The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen."-2 Timothy 4:18

No comments: